Public Housing

The Mobile County Housing Authority (MCHA) manages, and serves a vibrant community located just outside of Mobile, Alabama (27 miles north of I-65, north end of Mobile, on Highway 45). The property includes: a playground, and a resource center where residents are free to use the computers, typewriters, and exercise equipment.

resource centerresource centerplayground

How To Apply for Public Housing

The Mobile County Housing Authority program consists of 50 units of public public housing located at 16545 Hwy 45 South, Citronelle, AL 36522. Unit sizes range from 3 – 5 bedrooms (not all sizes available at all sites).

Basic Eligibility Criteria

  • Head of household must be 21 years of age or older (or an emancipated minor) unless married and applying with a spouse who is 19 years or older.
  • Family's total, gross annual income cannot exceed HUD-established income limits for participation in the Public Housing Program. Income includes all "countable" income anticipated for the coming year.
  • Applications are received, dated time stamped.
  • Applications for public housing are available at the MCHA's main office.

We are now Smoke Free Housing!

Examples of countable income include, but are not limited to; wages, unemployment benefits, workmen's compensation, Social Security, Pensions, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF), regular contributions from family or friends, and child support payments.

Income Limits effective 2008:

  • 1-Person family – $27,000
  • 2-Person family – $31,700
  • 3-Person family – $35,650
  • 4-Person family – $39,600
  • 5-person family – $42,750
  • 6-person family – $45,950
  • 7-person family – $49,100
  • 8-person family – $52,250

No minimum income requirement

Top | Public Housing Frequently Asked Questions